Re: Retoration Questions

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Retoration Questions
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:47:59 -0800
David:

I believe you may be wrong:  The order of assembly on the tri-carbs should
be - gasket, heat shield, gasket, spacer, gasket, carb.  The parts book
clearly shows 9 gaskets, and the illustration page shows the heat shield as
having asbestos on both sides.  My '62 (#18617) has it's original asbestos
on both sides.

Tri-carb owners should note that the heat shield is held to the intake
manifolds with 2 bolts (each manifold) - in addition to the 2 carb studs.
One of the bolt holes in each manifold is blind, but the other is drilled
right through into the air passage - the threads on this bolt need to be
sealed to prevent air leaks.

I believe that the engines were painted with the manifolds mounted, but
before the heat shield and carbs were mounted - the green paint on my
heatshield was a notably different green shade, and the asbestos pieces seem
to have been mounted to the shield after it was painted.  There was no
evidence of any engine paint on the carb flanges.

There was residual green paint on the distributor body - mine must have been
one of those cars that had the distributor mounted before painting.

More tri-carb trivia for everyone!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb