Re: starter troubleshooting

To: "John Adamik" <j.adamik@comcast.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: starter troubleshooting
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:39:08 -0500
John,
A few years ago, I went NUTS with a problem where the engine would not fire,
and yet I had power everywhere it should be. --but no spark. Replaced coil,
wires, distributor components etc. The list informed me that the kill switches
can short internally and the white/blk wire was grounding the coil through the
kill switch!  The switch normally grounds the coil when the battery is cut
off. When the switch fails, sometimes the coil remains grounded when the
battery is reconnected. It sounds as though your switch failed partially some
time ago, and the PO corrected the problem by cutting the wire.  The lack of
detent in the switch is another clue that this is the case.
There are faithful looking reproductions available, but I have been told that
they can be prone to the kind of internal failure described above.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA