More thoughts on registries

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: More thoughts on registries
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:45:14 -0500
Hello, Healeyphiles -

While we're on the subject again, the thought occurs....

I am very frequently contacted by new owners of BJ8s for any information at
all the BJ8 registry may have to help them trace the history of their cars.
Until the registry started trying to build a running ownership history for
each car, there was very little that could be done to help them.  There was no
central place for ownership history to be documented and preserved for the
future, and state Departments of Motor Vehicles are (with the notable
exception of North Carolina) generally unhelpful.

Recently a friend provided me with a foot-high stack of old Chatter magazines
from the late '70s - early '80s.  Imagine my frustration at reading the
classifieds from those days that give all sorts of information about the car
for sale, EXCEPT for the VIN.  Why leave that out?  If the VIN were
identified, then there would be some clue to the previous ownership history of
the car.

Please, when you advertise your car for sale, include the VIN!

Thanks for your kind attention....

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry