RE: rear end growl now trans

To: "'Freese, Ken'" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>,
Subject: RE: rear end growl now trans
From: "Michael Salter" <michaelsalter@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:40:12 -0500
Hi Ken,
Transmission noises are usually fairly easy to diagnose. Typically
countershaft bearings will not make much noise in direct 4th gear because
the countershaft is not transmitting any power.
If the transmission makes a hissing noise when you let the clutch pedal out
the problem is almost always the countershaft bearings
If the countershaft bearings are failing you will almost always find steel
slivers on the overdrive magnet.
If the countershaft bearings are going it is advisable to get in there
quickly before the inside bearing surface of the counter gear (laygear)
becomes damaged.
Let me know if I can help

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com