2-gorilla job?

To: "Jim LeBlanc" <jleblanc@midsouth.rr.com>,
Subject: 2-gorilla job?
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 07:00:25 -0400
IThanks to all who provided earlier guidance on seals. Unfortunately I haven't
been able to use it yet.  have tried in vane to unfasten the rear axle
securing nut. I'm using the 8-sided OEM nut socket and a 2-foot drive bar and
a 5# hand sledge. Will not budge forward or back. Whoever (whatever) put the
nut on the last time was a better man (gorilla) than I. Admittedly, I don't
have another gorilla to hold the nut  socket tight against the nut, and there
is a little play, so the hammer can only land 2 or at bets three blows before
it slides off the nut.

I am assuming the locking nut is undone the same way knock-offs are turned .
Is it correct to undo the left CCW and the right CW (i.e., top of nut turns
toward front on each side, bottom towards rear)?

Before I give up, is it safe to apply torch heat to the nut to get it out? I
welcome all suggestions I'm a little worn out from this one. Any help
appreciated.

Allen