Fw: Trafficator Problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Trafficator Problem
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 23:56:33 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: davidwjones
To: Michael Focht
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 11:55 PM
Subject: Re: Trafficator Problem

Mike,
Check the brass nut on the front of the steering box to be sure it is good and
tight, if tightening it does not fix the problem, then your stator tube(s) are
messed up.
Since you have the adjustable steering, your stator tube is in two pieces,
that slide or collapse, ---like the segments in a telescoping antenna.
The long piece, that goes through the steering box to the nut ---is slit at
the upper end. --And the rest of the stator tube -which is attached to the
trafficator, has a bump in it which locates in the slit on the long tube.  If
the slit in the long tube is bent up, or the tube has "opened up along that
slit, the trafficator can rotate.
If tightening the nut, and/or replacing the olive, then tightening the nut
does not fix the problem. then you may need to pull out the trafficator and
the stator tubes and replace or repair the part which is damaged.
David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA