SMOG Check. Remote Sensing

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: SMOG Check. Remote Sensing
From: "Len and/or Marge" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:35:05 -0700
ATTN  Southern California LBC owners.

If you recall, there was some discussion quite a while back concerning our cars
being subject to SMOG checks.  At the time, I said they 'could' be subject to
SMOG check.  Someone disagreed and said the they could not due to age.  I
proceeded to refer to the California Health and Safety Code which (still)
states as follows:

Div 26, 44011
(C) Any motor vehicle excepted by this paragraph shall be subject
to testing and to certification requirements as determined by the
department, if any of the following apply:
   (i) The department determines through remote sensing activities or
other means that there is a substantial probability that the vehicle
has a tampered emission control system or would fail for other cause
a smog check test as specified in Section 44012.

Well, guess what!  An article in today's newspaper states, "Smog cams coming to
L.A.  Sensors and video cameras on Southern California freeways could begin
recording pollutants spewing from tailpipes by early next year as part of a
program to reduce smog levels in the nation's smoggiest region.
The program, perhaps the largest of its kind, would measure vehicles entering
freeways in the counties of Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside.
The sensors measure pollutants as vehicles accererate and the cameras snap an
image of the license plates...".

It will be interesting to see if any of our exempted (by age) cars get caught
in this trap and what the outcome is.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA
1967 3000 MKIII HBJ8L39031