Summary of My Window Project

To: "Austin-Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Summary of My Window Project
From: "Ned Smith" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:04:05 -0500
A Lister has asked for a summary of the steps I took to fix my rollup
windows.

Problem: The windows rattled and did not roll up smoothly.

Cause: The nylon spacers/guides embedded in the glass channels had broken
allowing the window to come out of its tracks.

Solution: Remove the windows and replace the guides. I decided to also
replace all the rubber while the windows were out.

I removed the window and the ventilator at the same time although you could
just remove the window. I removed the "door glass stop bracket" so that the
window could be raised higher than normal and release the regulator arm.

To replace the guides, you have to remove the channels from the glass. I
first soaked the rubber with penetrating oil and mineral spirits. Then drill
out the pop rivets holding the two channels together. Carefully but firmly
pull the channels off. It was hard but they eventually came off. Install new
nylon guides in the channels. Now use "GlassPac" or gas tape as glazing to
reinstall the glass in the channels. The glazing from Moss is NOT the right
stuff. I got mine locally but there are several thicknesses  available so
take your parts with you to get a firm but not tight fit.  Fold a length of
glazing into a channel and coat it with motor oil. The oil acts as a
lubricant for the glass and it also swells the rubber to make a tight fit. I
used strap clamps to force the glass into the glazing and channels. As you
are pushing the parts together, remember to keep the channels aligned so
that they can be riveted together again. I also replaced the rubber seals
around the ventilator.

Clean the gunk out of the brass front channel so that the guides move
smoothly. I also had to squeeze the brass channel together in a few places
because the vibrating window had opened the sides. You want it tight enough
that the guides don't escape but open enough so there is no binding. I used
the original holes in the ventilator frame as the starting point for
reinstallation. Next locate the lower end of the brass channel so that the
leading edge of the ventilator matches the angle of the windshield.  Now
insert the window until it catches the regulator arm and lower the window.
You may have to adjust the rear channel attached to the door with washers so
that the rear guide stays in the channel through out its range of motion.

Ned Smith

BJ8

near Chattanooga, TN

N34.98 W85.5