Re: Laygear/3rd gear repair

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Laygear/3rd gear repair
From: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:37:45 -0500
That's what I thought before I purchased 5 side shift boxes on and off ebay.
Its a total hit and miss idea.   Most of the good boxes worth anything are
long gone or the internals are shot.  Best to bite the bullet and purchase
the gears, hubs, syncros and thrust washers that you need new (ouch) or go
with the Smitty which is why so many have already.  Laygears can be
restitched or purchased out right.

I suggest that you tally up all the parts that you think you need and make
up your mind whether originality is worth it or not.   Redoing the box
yourself is another big savings  and with the help of this list is much
easier than one would think once you get over the intimidation and the funky
odors that lurk within.
They make great winter projects but I suggest cleaning them up outside
first. And its not a good idea if your wife catches you cleaning your gears
in the dish washer.  : (    But it works great! :)

I was able to make one good box out of  my 5 , with many  rusty, pitted,
broken
parts to play with now in my free  time.   I Wish.

Parts Anyone?

Good Luck,   Mark