Re: BJ8 diff rebuild

To: "Freese, Ken" <Kendall.Freese@Aerojet.com>, Healey List
Subject: Re: BJ8 diff rebuild
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 08:23:12 -0800
Ken:

First question:  did the diff change resolve the noise problem?  if not,
then your 3:9 diff is probably okay.

I assume that the leak is from the pinion seal - to change the seal, you
have to remove the driven flange anyway, so it's easy enough to check
whether or not the pinion shims have started to break up (happens quite
often - and the diff will run noisy).  If so, replacing the shims with the
exact same total thickness shim pack will quite often solve the problem.
Torque on the nut is 140 lb/ft - you'll have to devise a holder for the
flange to do all this on the bench.

Only other suggestion if you're not sure would be to have a diff shop check
out the gear mesh pattern to be sure it's still okay.  I suspect there are
quite a few 3:9 diff assemblies sitting under various peoples workbenches if
you need one - Healey diffs are pretty robust, and most of them are probably
useable.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb