Re: 3000 side screens - originality questions

To: "Bob Haskell" <rchaskell@earthlink.net>, "healeylist"
Subject: Re: 3000 side screens - originality questions
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:53:13 -0500
Bob,

1. The little rectangular perspex handles will have to be made up as far as
I know.

2. I cannot explain why you only have one handle on your sidescreen sliding
panels. The usual was to always have one on the inside of the sliding panel
down fairly low and near the lower front edge, while the exterior one was at
the same height but near the back edge. I believe the Concours Guidelines
are correct in this description. However, as with most of these details
there could alays be an exception to the normal.

If a restorer encounters an anomoly like that, carefully document and
photograph the piece and note it to the judges prior to any Concours
inspection.

3. We usually have to make a suitable rubber buffer from those that are
currently available, cutting and shaping the buffer to come up with what we
need. I haven't seen a really "correct" one available commercially. The
thickness really shouldn't exceed that which would allow the front edge of
the sidescreen to fit reasonably even and parallel with the slotted relief
area of the back side of the windscreen post when the hard or soft top
latching hardware is in place.

4. The original pieces may have been stamped "Perspex" .

I believe there will be some new additional information regarding the
development and details of the 6 cylinder roadster sidescreens that will be
included in the 2007 edition of the Guidelines.

Also, my friend Peter Svilans may be able to help further with some of these
details......

Rich Chrysler