Re: [Healeys] BN1 gearbox help

To: "Carr&Edwards" <scvc70@epix.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 gearbox help
From: Michael Salter <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 08:16:43 -0400
Sarah, I would NOT recommend using a torch on those parts. The shaft
is probably heat treated and using a torch will almost definitely make
it soft and therefore weak.
Those taper pins can be difficult to remove but heating will not help
much. I would recommend breaking the threaded section of the pin off,
then after placing a heavy support on the back side of the lever try
hitting the pin, where the threaded section has been broken off, using
a stout pin pinch and a good sized hammer.
BTW they are the same pins that used to be used on the pedal cranks of
bicycles many years ago.