Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 10:01:39 -0500

--001a113fbae64630ff0540a32fc7

Oddly I have not encountered many issues with oil leakage at the brake ring
joints, certainly no serious leaks. Although I can appreciate the logic
related the concept of the joint at the brake ring opening up "under
braking" as a consequence of the "structural" issues mentioned on the BN2
on gearboxes I very much doubt that the inertia of the engine and gearbox
when applied through the rubber bushes of the tie rod would be sufficient
to actually stretch the 2 lower studs (or perhaps more correctly pull the
threads out of the overdrive case) and distort the rear housing flange
containing the other 4 studs.
I should also add that this does not explain the leakage issues experienced
by Bill with his BN1 as the engine restraint (tie rod) on the BN1 is
located on the gearbox/overdrive adapter plate.
It is interesting that adding a sealant channel and using silicone sealant
resolved the problem for Andy but IMHO the real cause may not yet have been
identified.

Michael S
BN1 #174

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM, David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
wrote:

> On 11/5/2016 8:03 PM, David Porter wrote:
>
> I use Yamabond. For sealing Al motorcycle engines. I like it. DaveP
>
> On 11/5/2016 3:01 PM, Roger Grace wrote:
>
> Sorry to reopen this, but have this same leak in my BJ8 OD and fixing it
> is one of my Winter projects.
> Given that the black sealant stuff that was used before didn=E2=80=99t la=
st (have
> no idea how long ago or what it is) and that there is no oil pressure on
> the joint, am sensitive to using what is the appropriate goo that will la=
st
> and contain the oil.
> Have done some checking around and the Hylomar universal blue is used by
> some shops that fix OD=E2=80=99s.
> Overdrive Services (ex Laycock people in UK) tell me that the originals
> were sealed with a product called Wellseal.
> Nowadays they use a Wurth sealant that mentions flange mating in its
> website blurb.
> BTW they said that they could supply me with a gasket for this joint that
> seems like a good idea ?
>
> The reality is that these are 2 Al flanges that are mated without a
> gasket. I wonder why ?. Plan to do some careful flatness checking when ha=
ve
> my hands on them.  Has anyone had a problem with the mating flatness ?  d=
> they have a tendency to warp over the years and maybe abuse too ? given t=
he
> shape not easy to machine flat - why do they leak ?
>
> Comments/ideas please.
> rg

LLIAM
> B LAWRENCE
> *Sent:* Sunday, October 23, 2016 8:26 PM
> *To:* healeys@autox.team.net
> *Subject:* [Healeys] Overdrive Question
>

> =E2=80=A6disassembly of the OD because it is seeping oil at the clutch ri=
ng.
> There are no gaskets, but I would like to smear some Hylomar on the joint
> faces to stop the leak.

> --
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107
> 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

> options/healeys/roggrace@telus.net

6

> --
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107
> 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

> --
> Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM 87107
> 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

> options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--=20
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*

--001a113fbae64630ff0540a32fc7

ns ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Oddly I have not encountered many issues =
with oil leakage at the brake ring joints, certainly no serious leaks. Alth=
ough I can appreciate the logic related the concept of the joint at the bra=
ke ring opening up &quot;under braking&quot; as a consequence of the &quot;=
structural&quot; issues mentioned on the BN2 on gearboxes I very much doubt=
 that the inertia of the engine and gearbox when applied through the rubber=
 bushes of the tie rod would be sufficient to actually stretch the 2 lower =
studs (or perhaps more correctly pull the threads out of the overdrive case=
) and distort the rear housing flange containing the other 4 studs.=C2=A0 <=
br>I should also add that this does not explain the leakage issues experien=
ced by Bill with his=20
BN1 as the engine restraint (tie rod) on the BN1 is located on the=20
gearbox/overdrive adapter plate.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
e=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">It is interestin=
g that adding a sealant channel and using silicone sealant resolved the pro=
blem for Andy but IMHO the real cause may not yet have been identified.<br>=
ans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-family:comic sans ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174<br>=
n, Nov 6, 2016 at 9:08 AM, David Porter <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:frogeye@porterscustom.com" target=3D"_blank">frogeye@porterscustom.com=
:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"HOEn=
Zb"><div class=3D"h5">
 =20
   =20
 =20
, David Porter
      wrote:<br>
     =20
        DaveP<br>
PM, Roger Grace
        wrote:<br>
       =20
COLOR:#000000">
&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISP=
LAY:inline">
AMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:norma=
l;DISPLAY:inline">
FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE=
:normal;DISPLAY:inline">
omic Sans MS&#39;;COLOR:#000000">
:none;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT=
-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">
&#39;Comic Sans MS&#39;;COLOR:#000000">
RATION:none;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#00000=
0;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">
AMILY:&#39;Comic Sans MS&#39;;COLOR:#000000">
T-DECORATION:none;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:=
#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">
FONT-FAMILY:&#39;Comic Sans MS&#39;;COLOR:#000000">
                                                  this, but have this
                                                  same leak in my BJ8 OD
                                                  and fixing it is one
                                                  of my Winter projects.</d=
iv>
                                                  black sealant stuff
                                                  that was used before
                                                  didn=E2=80=99t last (have=
 no
                                                  idea how long ago or
                                                  what it is) and that
                                                  there is no oil
                                                  pressure on the joint,
                                                  am sensitive to using
                                                  what is the
                                                  appropriate goo that
                                                  will last and contain
                                                  the oil.</div>
                                                  checking around and
                                                  the Hylomar universal
                                                  blue is used by some
                                                  shops that fix OD=E2=80=
=99s.</div>
                                                  (ex Laycock people in
                                                  UK) tell me that the
                                                  originals were sealed
                                                  with a product called
                                                  Wellseal.</div>
                                                  Wurth sealant that
                                                  mentions flange mating
                                                  in its website blurb.</di=
v>
                                                  they could supply me
                                                  with a gasket for this
                                                  joint that seems like
                                                  a good idea ?</div>
                                                  these are 2 Al flanges
                                                  that are mated without
                                                  a gasket. I wonder why
                                                  ?. Plan to do some
                                                  careful flatness
                                                  checking when have my
                                                  hands on them.=C2=A0 Has
                                                  anyone had a problem
                                                  with the mating
                                                  flatness ?=C2=A0 do they
                                                  have a tendency to
                                                  warp over the years
                                                  and maybe abuse too ?
                                                  given the shape not
                                                  easy to machine flat -
                                                  why do they leak ?</div>
                                                  please.</div>
ll;TEXT-DECORATION:none;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;=
COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">
ahoma">
D:#f5f5f5">
                                                        <a title=3D"frogeye=
@porterscustom.com">David Porter</a> </div>
                                                        Wednesday,
                                                        October 26, 2016
                                                        7:15 AM</div>
tle=3D"bspidell@comcast.net">Bob Spidell</a> ; <a title=3D"jmsdarch@sbcglob=
al.net">John Spaur</a> </div>
tle=3D"healeys@autox.team.net">healeys</a> </div>
                                                        Re: [Healeys]
                                                        Overdrive
                                                        Question</div>
ll;TEXT-DECORATION:none;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;=
COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">
                                                    that is oil
                                                    compliant will work.
                                                    There is no internal
                                                    pressure that will
                                                    force oil out. The
                                                    oil level in the OD
                                                    is just above the
                                                    operating shaft
                                                    level, hence the
                                                    need for the o-rings
                                                    on the shaft.</p>
                                                    wisdom....<br>
566057600moz-cite-prefix">On
                                                    10/26/2016 7:40 AM,
                                                    Bob Spidell wrote:<br>

:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:arial;COLOR:#000000">
                                                        both types of
                                                        Hylomar WILL
                                                        seal the joint?</di=
v>
                                                      <hr id=3D"m_623028480=
566057600zwchr">
ZE:12pt;TEXT-DECORATION:none;FONT-FAMILY:helvetica,arial,sans-serif;FONT-WE=
IGHT:normal;COLOR:#000;FONT-STYLE:normal"><b>From:
                                                        </b>&quot;John Spau=
r&quot;
                                                        <a class=3D"m_62302=
8480566057600moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">mailto:jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net</a><br>
                                                        <b>To: </b>&quot;WI=
LLIAM
                                                        B LAWRENCE&quot; <a=
 class=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">mailto:YNOTINK@msn.com=
</a>,
                                                        &quot;healeys&quot;=
 <a class=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-rfc2396E">mailto:healeys@auto=
x.team.net</a><br>
                                                        <b>Sent: </b>Tuesda=
y,
                                                        October 25, 2016
                                                        8:27:53 PM<br>
                                                        <b>Subject: </b>Re:
                                                        [Healeys]
                                                        Overdrive
                                                        Question<br>
                                                       =20
028480566057600WordSection1">
rmal"><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-se=
rif;COLOR:#1f497d">In my
                                                          experiences
                                                          neither of the
                                                          two types
                                                          Hylomar will
                                                          not seal that
                                                          joint.</span></p>
rmal"><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-se=
rif;COLOR:#1f497d"></span>=C2=A0</p>
rmal"><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-se=
rif;COLOR:#1f497d">John
                                                          Spaur</span></p>
rmal"><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-se=
rif;COLOR:#1f497d">San
                                                          Jose</span></p>
rmal"><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-se=
rif;COLOR:#1f497d"></span>=C2=A0</p>
DER-TOP:#e1e1e1 1pt solid;BORDER-RIGHT:medium none;BORDER-BOTTOM:medium non=
e;PADDING-BOTTOM:0in;PADDING-TOP:3pt;PADDING-LEFT:0in;BORDER-LEFT:medium no=
ne;PADDING-RIGHT:0in">
rmal"><b><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans=
-serif">From:</span></b><span style=3D"FONT-SIZE:11pt;FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Cal=
ibri&quot;,sans-serif">
                                                          Healeys [<a class=
=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-freetext">mailto:healeys-bounces@autox=
.<wbr>team.net</a>]
                                                          <b>On Behalf
                                                          Of </b>WILLIAM
                                                          B LAWRENCE<br>
                                                          <b>Sent:</b>
                                                          Sunday,
                                                          October 23,
                                                          2016 8:26 PM<br>
                                                          <b>To:</b> <a cla=
ss=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-abbreviated">healeys@autox.team.net<=
/a><br>
                                                          <b>Subject:</b>
                                                          [Healeys]
                                                          Overdrive
                                                          Question</span></=
p>
rmal">=C2=A0</p>
28480566057600divtagdefaultwrapper">
"FONT-FAMILY:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif;COLOR:#1f497d">=E2=80=A6</span>=
ssembly of the OD
                                                          because it is
                                                          seeping oil at
                                                          the clutch
                                                          ring. There
                                                          are no
                                                          gaskets, but I
                                                          would like to
                                                          smear some
                                                          Hylomar on the
                                                          joint faces to
                                                          stop the leak.
______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
                                                    <fieldset class=3D"m_62=
3028480566057600mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
                                                    <pre>__________________=
____________<wbr>_________________
f=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net=
/donate.<wbr>html</a>
Archive: <a class=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"htt=
p://www.team.net/archive" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http=
://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-abbreviated">Healeys@autox.tea=
m.net</a>
<a class=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox=
/mailman/<wbr>listinfo/healeys</a>

href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/frogeye@porterscustom=
.com" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/<wbr>options/healeys/=
frogeye@<wbr>porterscustom.com</a>

</pre>
566057600moz-signature">--
                                                    Dave Porter Porter
                                                    Custom Bicycles 2909
                                                    Arno St. NE
                                                    Albuquerque, NM
                                                    87107 <a href=3D"tel:50=
5-352-1378" value=3D"+15053521378" target=3D"_blank">505-352-1378</a>
                                                    Go HERE: my world <a cl=
ass=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"http://www.por=
terbikes.com/" target=3D"_blank">www.porterbikes.com/</a>
                                                  <hr>
______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
                                                  Support Team.Net <a class=
=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/=
                                                  Suggested annual
                                                  donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                                                  Forums: <a class=3D"m_623=
028480566057600moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
                                                  <a class=3D"m_62302848056=
6057600moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"; tar=
get=3D"_blank">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                                                  <a class=3D"m_62302848056=
6057600moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinf=
aleys</a><br>
                                                  Unsubscribe/Manage: <a cl=
ass=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team=
.net/mailman/options/healeys/roggrace@telus.net" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
                                                  <hr>
n=3D"left">No
                                                    virus found in this
                                                    message.<br>
                                                    Checked by AVG - <a hre=
f=3D"http://www.avg.com"; target=3D"_blank">www.avg.com</a><br>
                                                    Version: 2015.0.6201
                                                    / Virus Database:
                                                    4664/13278 - Release
                                                    Date: 10/26/16</p>
=3D"_blank">www.porterbikes.com/</a> </div>
[...]

      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
>505-352-1378</a>
      Go HERE: my world <a class=3D"m_623028480566057600moz-txt-link-abbrev=
iated" href=3D"http://www.porterbikes.com/"; target=3D"_blank">www.porterbik=
es.com/</a>

Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
s/michaelsalter@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://auto=

_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div d=
 fix it with a hammer, you&#39;ve got an electrical problem.</span></font><=

--001a113fbae64630ff0540a32fc7--