[Healeys] Toyota 5 speed

Subject: [Healeys] Toyota 5 speed
From: warthodson at aol.com (warthodson at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 16:43:24 -0400
I will reverse the question & suggest the advantages of retaining the original
transmission & overdrive.
The shift lever is located exactly where the factory intended it to be. No
modification to the tunnel & center console required.
The rear mounts all line up - no modifications & adapters required.
The speedometer cable does not require any modifications or adapters.
The engine back plate fits the bell housing without modification.
You have 6 speeds forward. 1, 2, 3, 3rd overdrive, 4th & 4th overdrive.
No need to purchase a used Toyota 5 speed & worry about it's condition. Or pay
to have it inspected & rebuilt
No satisfaction in learning the art of double clutching. I love double
clutching down into lower gears including 1st gear - very satisfying! I am
easily satisfied.
The original pressure plate, clutch plate, slave cylinder & clutch hydraulic
line all fit without any re-engineering.
Your car will be more original & if you care perhaps worth more.
I am not saying you will experience all of these if you choose a Toyota, but it
does give you a few things to consider.

My personal favorite reason:  I heard a woman say "It makes me tingle when he
flips the overdrive in & out of gear".
Does your Toyota do that?

Seriously, anyone can shift gears, but knowing how & when to engage or
disengage the OD is one of Healying's little pleasures.

If your 50+ year old transmission & overdrive are causing you some type of
issue(s) & you are not intimately familiar with rebuilding them you should
consider having them professionally rebuild. When done correctly they perform
well & should not leak (much). Generally, finding someone that truly knows what
they are doing & is meticulous in their work is the challenge.

Please add to the list if you know of other reasons to keep the original drive
train.

Gary Hodson