[Healeys] BN2 Brakes

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BN2 Brakes
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 07:57:46 -0700
A while back, I issued a request for advice on how to fix a soft pedal
on my BN2 after replacing several cylinders and some shoes. I'd
pressure-bled them, which has always worked well for me before, but when
I got a good pedal it would go soft after some time and/or a bit of
driving. A lister suggested a method he'd seen work before: hold
pressure on the pedal with a board/weight/etc. for a few hours or days.
In desperation, I put a board on the depressed pedal and 'staked' it on
the driver side seat pan. As (bad) luck would have it, I had to deal
with my mother's dementia and place her in memory care, and my landlord
evicted us--he's selling--and we started a complete remodel of her house
before we moved in. So, no time or energy to work on the car for a
couple months--plus a heat wave that made it uncomfortable to work in
the garage--but when I finally got back on the car a couple days ago, I
had a good pedal, that seems to persist. Needless to say, I'm happy
about this, but a bit curious why this worked; my guess is the pressure
on the fluid causes any air in the fluid to form bubbles, which
gradually migrate back into the reservoir. Another (remote) possibility
is the brake fluid causes some swelling in the seals, allowing them to
seal better (though I've not seen any evidence of leaks).

Anyway, thanks to the person who suggested this; now on to other issues.

Bob