Re: [Healeys] 100 Windshield Bolt

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Windshield Bolt
From: Michael Salter via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 23:44:54 -0400
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000ce354405cc50fd9a

Wait, wait, wait ... the shouldered bolt is right hand thread on both sides
however early cars were BSF thread and later cars UNF thread.
The little screw that goes into the end of the bolt to prevent the knurled
knob from being unscrewed before removing said little screw was left hand
thread.
Actually a great idea but engineeringly poor because a decent crank on the
knurled knob could fairly easily shear off the little screw.
I believe most of the repro screws use a right hand thread for the little
screw with a touch of Loctite.
Actually turned up a pair yesterday from stainless steel.

On Sat., Sep. 18, 2021, 9:55 p.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Since the List is moribund; I'll throw this out: Anyone know where to
> get the correct 'shouldered bolt' and screw for the driver (LHD) side
> windshield securing knob? The correct one is left-hand thread; but my
> dad didn't know that and drilled the original out. Here's the Moss
> replacement, which is right-hand thread:
>
> https://mossmotors.com/bolt-shouldered-with-screw
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000ce354405cc50fd9a

read on both sides however early cars were BSF thread and later cars UNF th=
read.<div dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"auto">The little screw that goes into th=
e end of the bolt to prevent the knurled knob from being unscrewed before r=
emoving said little screw was left hand thread.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto=
">Actually a great idea but engineeringly poor because a decent crank on th=
e knurled knob could fairly easily shear off the little screw.</div><div di=
r=3D"auto">I believe most of the repro screws use a right hand thread for t=
he little screw with a touch of Loctite.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Actually tu=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat., Se=
p. 18, 2021, 9:55 p.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex">Since the List is moribund; I&#39;ll throw this out: Anyone know wher=
e to <br>
get the correct &#39;shouldered bolt&#39; and screw for the driver (LHD) si=
de <br>
windshield securing knob? The correct one is left-hand thread; but my <br>
dad didn&#39;t know that and drilled the original out. Here&#39;s the Moss =
replacement, which is right-hand thread:<br>
rrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://mossmotors.com/bolt-shouldered-w=
ith-screw</a><br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=