Re: Rear Ends & other questions

To: "Chuck Rothfuss" <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Ends & other questions
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:28:28 -0800
Don't know much bout history... don't know much bout Biology... but I do
know that... never mind... old song... I bet one of the historians at the
SCTA would know the answer Chuck... and like you I am trying to interest
several folks in Land speed Racing...

My Best Friend Brad and I have been bench racing and going to meets on the
East Coast for several years and He was here Friday night working on the
hot rod.... we made a list of everything we needed to do... Wow....lots of
work between now and the 27 of March... I was getting pretty tired when I
realized it was 1o'clock in the morning and I had been working on the car
for 19 hours straight with one break for a meal.... most fun I have had
since the pigs ate my brother...

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )

----------
> From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>; land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Rear Ends & other questions
> Date: Sunday, February 21, 1999 8:37 PM
>
> Keith, List
>
>   I always thought ladder bars were supposed to do exactly what you
> described.  They prevent the rear end from winding up as you accelerate
by
> applying that twisting force to the bars.  When the bars get loaded under
> acceleration they try to lift the front of the car, which transfers more
> weight to the rear.  Seems like a win/win situation to me.  Only draw
back
> might be loss of steering when you don't have the front tires on the
ground.
> Never a problem on the salt, but it would be at Maxton where traction is
> plentiful.
>
>   No takers on the rotary engine question.  I guess I really am all alone
> out here.  Got two engines running for my race partners this weekend, one
> all new engine in an RX7 that we just built and one that was just in for
> repairs out of a Rotary Pick-up.  The guy with the REPU (Rotary Engined
> Pick-Up) is very interested in the ECTA and will probably drive the truck
> out to Maxton this season and see what it'll do.  It's a blast to drive,
but
> with nearly open exhaust it sounds like a Cesna  buzzing the neighborhood
> when he's cruising by.
>
>   I have an interesting research project for anyone who is up on
land-speed
> trivia.  I'm trying to get some details on any/all records currently held
by
> rotary powered vehicles, and any past (ancient history) records set by
> Datsun 510's.  I have some old pictures from the '71 and '72 Bonneville
> Nationals of Pete Barker running a 510 (#510) in H/Pro, but I don't know
if
> he or anyone else had pushed a 510 faster than his 136.89 MPH record.
> Anybody ever set up a data base of information that goes that far back?
Any