Re: USFRA web site

To: kturk@ala.net, Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: USFRA web site
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 18:05:17 -0700
Keith,
I have always run 1 3/4" header tubes. For many years I ran individual pipes
on each cylinder, the last several years I have been running headers with very
short 3" collectors.  The tubes are 23" from the head to the end of the
collector, not by design, but by necessity. When I ran individual pipes I used
a formula to calculate the header length. I have forgotten the formula, but I
bet someone out there knows. The calculation was from the exhaust valve to the
end of the pipe. I believe we ran a 27'' pipe.

There are those that think a 2" tube is better, but my thinking is that
velocity increase with the smaller pipe is an asset.

We have run a 2 1/2" Crower injector since the mid-70s. This may be a little
overkill for a 304 cu. in. motor, but they have worked well for us once I
discarded the high-speed by-pass. Today's carburetors are certainly adequate
for what we are doing, I just think it is easier to keep up with the
atmospheric changes with injection.

Hey just run what you have, I have found some of my most enjoyable weeks have
been running left over junk! My successes have probably been more by accident
than by calculation anyway. The last couple of years bear that out. We had
grand  plans, but were humbled by the results. We still make big plans,
though, and are looking forward to this year.

Tom