Re: Motor Question..

To: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Motor Question..
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:28:00 -0400
  Sounds like it would take some rebalancing, and it might do funny things
to the mixture if you use an open plenum intake.  The more I consider this
the more I have to wonder why in the world anyone would want to do such a
thing?

  I was inspired by the 3 cylinder Bruch Porsche to actually considered
building a single rotor rotary engine.  No cylinders to sleeve, but it would
drop my engine class from E/ to G/.  Whatever I do I still have to deal with
having my engine displacement tripled since the Wankel is a
non-reciprocating engine.  Then there are all the smaller piston engines
that have more potential than 1/2 a rotary, so this idea will most likely
stay on the drawing board.

  Major changes in engine class would be the only reason I can see for such
an engine, but then why not change all eight cylinders to maintain the
engines breathing efficiency?  I don't think it's the most practical idea,
but it's an interesting one.  I'm curious to see what others have to add.

Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA