Re: Transmission Losses

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Losses
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 11:52:07 -0500
The in and out box is a great idea... and I can think of several examples
of cars I looked at on the salt that were set up like that... and yeah
Maxton is so much like a drag race.... I think it is really like El
Mirage.... and Muroc.... just a short course....with Killer traction....
sorta...

We don't do a drag race style start there... but as I evaluate it... there
maybe some merit to rapid up front acceleration... That is why I really do
think the wide ratio for that place is absolutely right....

My little motor just makes so much power on the high end of the RPM
Scale... that the close gears really are the deal for Bonneville....(or at
least I think they are based on the logic presented here)

I wonder what other kind of aids we could use to limit Drag and frictional
loses of the drive train....

I did back the brake shoes off a tick.. and I told the guy who turned the
rotors that I didn't mind a little wobble to kick the pads back in up
front.....(very little)   I like the idea of the light grease also.. I
wonder what Nascar is using in their rear ends with that oil cooler set
up....I went with synthetics as everyone here seems to be kinda big on
them... for my gears....

Keith