grand fathered cars the real point of the post!

To: "Land-speed@autox.team.net" <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: grand fathered cars the real point of the post!
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:13:45 -0400
 Hey guys I did not want to stir up a hornets nest on this or infer that
anyone had motives that were less than honorable.  The point I was
trying to make is very simple.  If you want to have more participants
and hopefully younger ones that will race for years, a few things that
have been  going on might have to change.  I have heard on a continual
basis that this is a primary goal to keeping the salt flats racing
alive.  You need more cars to carry on the sport.  If that is true and
imitation is the most sincere form of flattery then you can not tell a
newcomer that some of the cars are illegal for them to copy.  The first
burning question that will come to their mind is " Why do I have to race
against an illegal car ? "  Everyone else might know and maybe those
cars are not even competitive anymore but to a newcomer it reeks.  Do
you really think that you can have it both ways ?  New cars have to
comply to the rules and old cars don't .....  I will continue to race
there as I always have a ball doing it. I do wish someone would build a
G lakester that is a serious effort so we have someone to race with. My
only sorrow about going there is that Bruce Johnson is no longer with
us.  Many thought him cantankerous and hard to deal with.  For me he was
a nice guy that was a pleasure to deal with.  He wanted it all fair and
I found him to be an honest guy.  Just wish I had told him that.. Others
I have dealt with have been less than a 'pleasure' at times....  For the
most part I will work around them the best I can as everyone else also
does I am sure.  I will be the short annoying one that keeps asking why
do I have to this your way....

Regards,
Dave Dahlgren