Vintage 4

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage 4
From: V4GR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:48:59 EDT
        I like the vintage 4 class because its not "I can buy better parts
than you" but "I can make better parts than I did last time." We don't go
very fast (except for Roy Creel) but we have as much fun as anybody. In 63 or
64 I met Dave Dozier at the drags and he was telling me about the 32 Plymouth
drag motor he used to have. He mentioned a Y block Ford head was a near bolt
on. I thought about that for years and in 94 I found a 31 Ply engine, and
away we went.
Harold Johanson holds the record in V4GR at 144 at salt 147 at the dirt. I
thought the Ply might do it at the salt, 147 at El Mirage looked tough. As it
happened the fastest it has ever gone is 135 MPH at Bonneville and at El
Mirage. Still whenever it ran I was amazed that mismatched pile of parts
would run at all.               My roadster is the old San Francisco Ramblers
club roadster that ran at B'ville in 55 with a 260 Dodge hemi. Than it was Al
Haloway's E/BFR and than I ran it as a G/GR until I put in the Ply. Its has
Morris torsion bars all round and a swing axle V8 quickchange rearend. It
went 142 one way with the 2 liter Lotus motor, went 219 for Al with 258 Blown
sbc.
                        I'm building a Blown flathead 32 Plymouth for it now,
hope springs eternal.                           Rich Fox