Re: Building / Buying a car

To: kturk@ala.net, ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Building / Buying a car
From: richard jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

I sure got a flood of good advice all at once there, but I'm afraid
buying another car would be way out of my budget.  You see, I am, and
always have been a genuine, true, shade-tree mechanic.  I already have
a (supposedly ready to run) 354 hemi that I bought at a swap meet, an
S-10 chassis that I bought for a street-rod chassis, a Dodge Turbo
Daytona that I bought because the price was right ($100), a ragged out
3/4 ton GMC that I got because it had a big-option 4bbl motor in it,
and two 1948-49 Ford pickups that I bought because the flathead in one
of them still runs like a clock.  On top of that, I stripped and
converted my daughters (soon-to-be) Geo Storm to run in my cherry race
at Maxton earlier this month.  I just sold a flip-front 440-powered,
'66 Plymouth to fund my habit a little further. I know it would be
easier to buy a ready-to-run car, but I've got all this stuff lying
around that I'm supposed to use  for something. And, I ain't really got
the money to start over on still another car. I'm afraid I'm going to
have to do this the old fashioned way - out under the shade tree with
the tool box and torch close at hand.  I may end up using the Dodge
body 'cause I've already got it, or my lucky option will be to get the
Renault body.  I will hold off until I can get a copy of Bonneville
News though, just to see what might be out there - but I think it's a
slim chance.  In the meantime, I'll keep on reading every word you guys
put out so that I can be that much more prepared when I finally fire up
the torch.
Thanks,
Dick J