Re: YARN

To: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>, Land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: YARN
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 06:17:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
wrote:
>       Anybody
> ever tape yarn to the side of
> the car to see how the air flows over the body?

I not only read about that, I had a chance to
watch it on some Porsche tests in Germany years
ago when they were developing the first air dam
and wide tire modifications to the original 911
body style.  It was hi-tek stuff back then, and
every place where the yarn lifted off the body
more than  a fraction of an inch (boundary
layer??) the German engineers when haywire trying
to re-contour or put small bumps and flaps to
make the air flow smoother.  Your big challenge
there is going to be to get somebody close enough
to the track to video tape it for you - or to
find big enough of a telephoto lense to tape it.

Dick J