International course

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: International course
From: "Beverly C. Stanley" <beverlycst@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:37:55 -0700
Keith - just talked to Mike Waters who just returned from the salt flats
- the salt is great - they have laid out (surveyed) a nine mile course
which means we will make two way record runs -
If you qualify (you make a run which exceeds the current record) you
will immediately take your race vehicle to the far end impound (make
sure you attend the drivers meeting on the first day to get all the good
details- like where the impound is located) you can then work on your
race entry - you know change fluids, damaged parts, etc. - check the
rule book for specific limitations on what you can or cannot do to the
race vehicle in impound). Your race vehicle will remain in impound until
the next morning at 7AM, or thereabouts, when return runs will begin -
you then make the second leg in the opposite direction from the
qualifying run - if your two way average exceeds the current record -
then proceed directly to the impound in the pit area for certification.
I don't know if we will be using the "international" race course area -
there has been a lot of damage there in the past two years from
television advertisement filming - but I'm sure Waters and company tried
to get the very best courses for us. There is also a short course (5
miles) for vehicles under 175mph.

That's all I know at this point, but the next issue of the Straightaway
News should be going out no later than the 31st of July with your pit
pass and poster - and will have all the latest info.
Bev Stanley