Re: Salt Flats International Course

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Salt Flats International Course
From: "Wester S. Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 01:00:23 -0600
Keith

To answer your questions;

I am sure the course will be a full nine miles...three to get up speed,
three timed miles and three to slow down if we follow the way we used to set
up the course.  I can't see why we would change that.  The quarter mile trap
would fall in the first quarter of the third mile from the start for 175 mph
qualifying speed to take the entire three timed miles.

I would imagine that the two way run rule will be in effect...USFRA changed
it to a one way two run situation for the shorter course when the BMW
streamliner missed everything, catch net, mile markers, blew through the
starting line area at some speed and ended up in a pond where the dike had
broken down.  They repaired the dike...no more ponds and that dike is a
nasty hit at speed.

The one hour rule is an FIA thing, really only strictly enforced for their
certification.  They require timing over the exact same piece of real
estate, i.e. same mile where the car qualified for the record, as well. With
the runs in the same direction there was still only an hour allowed to work
on cars, in impound, that qualified for record runs even though there could
be much more time between runs.

The start for return runs will be at the opposite end of the course.  Most
often Gordon Hoyt of 200 Club has been the starter there at World of Speed.