Bikes, Buggies and Rule Books

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Bikes, Buggies and Rule Books
From: Dave Mann <davemann@roadsters.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
Two-stroke motorcycles have been setting records on the salt for decades.
Looking in the SCTA rule book will show records held by bikes with
Aprilia, Bridgestone, Cagiva, Can-Am, Honda, Kawasaki, Kreidler,
Morbidelli, NSU, Suzuki and Yamaha engines.

The KTM's 540cc engine would run in the 650 class since it's too big for
the 500 class. I'd slide the fork tubes up into the triple clamps and add
much shorter rear shocks, and then wear at least two sets of leathers.

As for the dune buggy, that would fall into the Lakester class, providing
the car conforms to the class rules and can pass Tech. As an example,
let's look at the B (engine) class. A lakester with a 373 to 439-inch,
naturally-aspirated engine running on race gas would run in B/GL, which is
Unblown Gas Lakester. The Bonneville record in that class is 229.606, set
in 1994. With a blower and nitro, the B/BFL record is 306.957, set in
1990. You may want to remove your dune buggy's antenna and flag.

Everybody on this mailing list needs an SCTA rule book. They're only seven
bucks and inside you'll find a tremendous amount of information needed to
go LSR racing. They can be ordered online from the SCTA/BNI Web site, at
http://www.scta-bni.org/
Click on Products on the left frame, and then Miscellaneous on the right.

By the way, next month I'll be at Bonneville for the first time. My own
car is still about thirty grand away from becoming something more than
parts and dreams, but you'll find me in the Finishline Coatings / RM
Engineering pits, working on the #1902 Fuel and #902 Gas Modified Roadster
that my employer, Russ Meeks, designed, built and drives. The car has a
bare, hand-formed aluminum '23 T roadster body and is powered by an
injected GMC six that you'll have to see to believe. We'll be pitted
beside the #678 Treit & Davenport Blown Fuel Lakester. Please introduce
yourself. And we'll have Roadsters.com T-shirts for sale!

Dave Mann

Webmaster, Roadsters
http://roadsters.com/

Dave Mann