Re: Saturday on the salt

To: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Subject: Re: Saturday on the salt
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:38:04 -0600
mayf,
Keith only went out on the short course to feel his way, smart thing to
do...140 speed...you can imagine the grin and enthusiasm on that slender,
expressive face as he described the first run.  He stood there, eyes
glowing, gesturing, diet Coke in one hand, cigarette in the other and really
didn't work on either one he was so excited about the run.  They were on the
lean side for jetting on the carburetion, discussing what they were going to
do but he was really only there in body, his mind was re-living the run.  It
was fun to watch.  He will return back home, stoked and ready to come back
to the salt next week I'm sure.  He either didn't sleeep at all last night
or can't remember what the pillow felt like when his head hit it.
Got salt fever!
Jim Travis (Travers ?) was there with the restored pumpkin seed liner you
asked about.  Major frame rebuild to provide for todays safety inspections.
He cut away the central frame and welded in a heavier structure but
maintained the body bracing.  Beautiful restoration job.  Travis had done a
re-build on the last six cylinder engine they ran in the sixties, hoped to
put one of the crew in the 2 club with it. Paid tribute to Bill Burke and
Mickey Thompson in the lettering on the rear of the body.  Bill was 100 feet
away with a lakester from his Bonneville past and the new RX7 based comp
coupe that will be on our calendar for next year and tee-shirts this year.
Had his usual trailer full of dogs, son and a   grandson...classic Burke
pit.
Wes