Re: Bonneville 8/16/99

To: Land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonneville 8/16/99
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:42:18 -0600
----------
land-speed@autox.team.net<land-speed@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Bonneville 8/16/99
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:20:08 -0600
>
>Homies...
>Keith Turk can't stop smiling even though he has problems with his cam
belt.
> They found the Bonneville attitude...none of this drag race hurry
>up stuff, and sat back to have a Coke and bench
>race until the coolant can be safely drained
>Last I saw of him he was doing just that., then they will find out why the
>engine went flat in high gear .  He has been working up to 200 and was
>close.  The long course was slick today  and he was taking it easy...no
>sense getting in over your head.  Seems to be a smart racer.
>The Kugel Firebird is in impound for a return run on a 300 mph plus run
>today...could be the first doorslammer to do over 300 both ways.
Turbinator made a 415 pass yesterday but couldn't back it up today.  Al
Teague made a 340 ish run if I remember his time accurately, not fast enough
to go to impound for a return run tomorrow morning.  Every time I looked for
Tom Bryant there was no-one in his pit.  Bad timing on me.  Terry Nish
qualified for a record attempt in E streamliner class and will run in the
AM.  The weather couldn't be nicer, high eighties, very light breezes, high
wispy clouds moving over when there were any at all.  Bean Bandits had their
barbecue this evening, I had to come back so I missed it.  Told Joaquin he
looked great on the TV special and he almost blushed.  Got lots of flack
from the gang in the pit area.  Yellow logo tee-shirts were selling like hot
cakes.  Check their web site to see what they look like.  Travis ran the
"Pumpkin Seed" but not fast enough...may have been a licensing run... they
were on the trailer when we said goodbye to Bill Burke and his gang.  About
fourteen cars in impound for record runs tomorrow.  Someone has the course
figured out!  Saw Darrell Ferguson at the start area.  Problems prevented
their entry going this week.  The pictures of the car are great.  Looks like
you can  be bi-costal in racing after all.  Hope things work out ok.
Sorry to take so much space but that is my report for today.  If I make it
out later in the week I'll give another monolog.
Got salt fever,
Wes.