Re: Twin Turbo's

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com, kturk@ala.net
Subject: Re: Twin Turbo's
From: V4GR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:51:46 EDT
In the 70s I bought 2 Covair turbos from scrap sources. Paid $19 for one and
$50 for the other. We made muffler molly manifolds and bolted them on the
side of a 270 GMC. Sucked thru a 800 Holly. Had a sealed water bottle with a
manifold pressure line running in to it and a water line out to a jet on top
of the Holly. More boost more water. Tried alcohol but did not see any
change. Thing ran fine except if you kept your foot down long enough the
turbine would overspeed and blow up. When the local junkyards were picked
clean we went to larger RaJay turbos that were sized more correctly for this
engine. It was fun it was cheap and at the time it was a pretty fast XX/Alt
Rich Fox----PS Jack Costalla uses Chrysler 2.2 turbos no water but small
carburetor to limit air flow and boost.