[Fwd: Re: Turbo's]

To: "Land-speed@autox.team.net" <Land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Turbo's]
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:07:49 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Turbo's
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 09:55:36 -0400
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
To: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>

Doc, I  have a few questions for you.. How do you run at 14.0/1 air fuel
with 15 lbs of boost? Please tell me you will make us both very rich and
famous..

#2 You seem to have an engine with no cylinder heads on it or the VE of
the engine is textbook perfect..Can Brodix and others close up shop
now..You imply that engine that the turbos are connected to have little
to do with what is going on here.. An example an extreme one but good to
test the theory..Lets pick two engines I am familiar with small ones so
bear with me.. Engine 1 2.65 liters  engine 2 2.8 liters both run 16 lbs
of boost..Engine 1 is a Cosworth DFX  makes in the range of 900 Hp
engine 2 a GM 60 deg V-6 makes about 400....So there is a lot more than
cubic inches and theoretical air flow..

The best way to find out what you might expect is to first model the
engine as a naturally aspirated engine with a VE that is realistic,use a
bsfc that makes sense for the compression ratio and the run the
simulation at sea level.. now you know the lbs/hr of air the CFM the
engine can pump.. Add the turbo correct for efficiency add the
intercooler correct again change a/fuel ratio to something realistic for
a turbo engine and finally use a bsfc for a turbo engine..now you have a
chance of coming close to what might happen as long as the turbine
housing is sized right and the back pressure is within reason.. This is
a very complicated subject at best...

Sorry if this sounds like a flame or diatribe meant to illuminate not
derogate.... Oversimplification of a complex thing can and will lead to
some pretty disappointing events..

Dave Dahlgren