Re: More Methanol Mysteries

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Methanol Mysteries
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 18:35:07 EST
In a message dated 11/04/1999 10:53:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Nuther question:  If methanol likes 14:1 and 15:1
 kind of CR, and I put it in a gas motor that is,
 say 10:1, isn't that like taking a gas motor on
 gas and cutting compression ratio down to 7:1?  I
 mean, isn't that existing 10:1 way too low for
 Methanol?

 --- ARDUNDOUG@aol.com wrote:
 > Group,
 >     For IR (Hilborn-type) injectors there are
 > some pretty standard
 > starting-points regards nozzle size, bypass jet
 > size, injector pump size,
 > etc. when starting to use methanol. The folks
 > at Laguna Lean-out (aka
 > Hilborn) near Laguna Beach, CA can give you a
 > good idea of the starting
 > point.
 >     Eventually you will establish your own
 > base-line and interpolate from
 > there to correct for the addition of nitro,
 > different altitudes, temps,
 > humidity, etc.
 >
 > Ardun Doug King

    My experience with the little (284ci) Hemi has been that if you run less
than 10:1 CR you're better off sticking with gas or running a alky/nitro mix.
Above 10:1 CR things got progressively better the more "squeeze" I applied.
By the time I got to 17.5:1 the little Hemi started getting happy, running
194+ at El Mirage in a pretty "dirty" rear-engine lakester with a wing and no
streamlining aft of the driver.
                                Ardun Doug King