Water pumps

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Water pumps
From: Higginbotham Land Speed Racing <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:21:33 -0600
Mayfield,
If you like, add to your database that we use two 12v RV water pumps that
pump 3 gal/min each and run them in parrallel with a balance line at the
inlet of the engine so that if one fails, there is still some water
circulating. The pumps are available everywhere (about $60) if they fail.
Works so far (second season) and the temp seems to be within limits the
mfgr set at 210.
The pumps have a reverse flow check valve built in so that the water in the
engine doesn't run down into the tank when at rest and run the tank over.
That is only a problem if the tank filler is below the engine water level.
Also I have used a 15 lb pressure relief valve on the outlet side of the
engine so that the tank is vented (no pressure) and the engine is
pressurized. That worked OK too (supposedly eliminates steam pockets). Got
it at Home Depot for $6.
No high dollar stuff here............obvious reason.

A suggestion.......I hope that one does not overlook the cooling effect of
the oil system when making  cooling (water) calculations.

Skip Higginbotham, Bastrop, Tx