Re: Flatheads

To: landspeedracer@email.msn.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flatheads
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:38:42 EST
In a message dated 11/22/1999 9:50:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
landspeedracer@email.msn.com writes:

<<
 OK, so I'm not a flathead fanatic, but I can appreciate the time an effort
 that those of you that are put into these things.

 My two questions are: Why wouldn't a new design 5 main bearing cast block be
 of interesting to the flathead aficionados?

########## John,
    The V4 (Vintage 4-cyl) guys were asked to approve or reject the Donovan
aftermarket "banger" engine for SCTA competition and voted against it, the
reasoning being that "we made our records using original-type parts, let the
next generation do the same".
    True, many of the current records were (are) set with original blocks
converted to 5-main type Hercules and SCAT cranks, a herculean(sp) job in
itself. But, that's the way the racers voted.
    Having some inkling of what a pattern-making and casting nightmare the
Flatty V8 was for Henry Ford and his production man Charles (Cast-Iron)
Sorensen in the early 30's, I seriously doubt that anyonr would attempt the
job today based on potential sales.
    I personally feel that the 3-main Flatty block has adequate bottom-end
strength if it's augmented with a billet crank, center-main girdle, and steel
caps. True, I happen to manufacture and sell the girdle and caps.
    If someone were to produce a 5-main Flatty block, it would give tomorrows
competitors in the class a huge advantage over what those in the past hasd to

 And why did Donovan cast an up graded version of the model B, 4 cylinder
 block instead of the venerable flathead V-8?

 John from Asheville, NC