Re: Pierson Coupe/Bruce Meyer

To: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Pierson Coupe/Bruce Meyer
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:15:41 -0800
Hi Wes
I have been reading all of the Pearson Coupe stuff with much interest. Like all
of you I remember seeing it run and read many stories about over the years. Tom
and I are in the same SCTA club so I guess I have seen it more(the coupe) then
most from the best seat in the house, the timing trailer. I also have the
autographed framed painting by Youngblood and the all steel model also signed by
the brothers. My wife bought them both for me. They are real treasures in my
collection. As far as the good old days I started my racing at Santa Ana in
1953, was running around the with the San Pedro Muffler bunch you know the
Stecker Brothers and Jack Ewell and my neighbor was Bob Fugatt who owned the
Black Widow rear engined roadster. I was lucky enough to drive it in 1957 . This
was my first 200 mph ride. I also got into lakes racing the same year. I
belonged to the Albata Club. Did more drag racing from 1960 to 69. Then came
back to the lakes after raising a family in 1983, haven't missed a meet since.
Do we have great sport or what. The timing thing just kind of happened as I went
to the lakes to visit with Gary Cagle and the rest is history. Thanks to all of
the racers I have a very enjoyable position in the world of land speed racing,
watching everyone go fast and being the first to know you reached that goal. The
SCTA and USFRA familys are closer now than ever and the ECTA is working very
hard to keep their operation on par with us. It is a very difficult to start at
square one and make it happen. They don't have the lakes and salt as close as us
westerners but they are doing it with the best they can get. Have a great day .
Glen