Re: Re: Rotary engines

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Rotary engines
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 10:23:22 -0500
Mike,

  I remember hearing something about that engine before they had perfected
the eccentric shaft for the 20B 3 rotor engine.  Haven't heard a peep about
it in years.
I have a japanese magazine with an article on a guy who bulit a "4 rotor"
but his approach was different, and critically flawed.  He took two 13B
engines and welded the rotors together side by side to create two very wide
rotors.  He did the same with the eccentric shaft, splicing it together from
two shafts.  It was reported to have made over 600 HP during it's 90 second
life on the dyno.  I'd often thought that the way to build a twin engine
rotary powered car would be to mount them in line with a sprint car style
coupler between them.  If you didn't immediately twist the snout off the
eccentric shaft of the rear engine you'd be in business.  They could even be
timed 90 degrees apart to deliver power strokes twice as smoothly as a two
rotor engine.
  There are 20B three rotor engines available, complete with wiring harness
and turbos over the internet.  Priced at $45,000 a few years ago, I've seen
them as low as a few thousand in the past year.  Still a bit out of my
range, but they are beautiful things. I've gotto be satisfied to use the new
20B's stationary gears in my latest 13B.  When I got them out of the box
from Mazda's Competition Dept I wanted to leave them out on the dining room
table as a center piece they were so nice.  Even the grease they were packed
in smelled sweet!
  Hey, We've got a Jaguar XJ6L without an engine sitting out back.  It might
be long enough underhood for two rotaries.  Anybody interested in the car or
the stock Jag 4.2 engine PLEASE e-mail me directly.  Gotta make room at the
shop for the new Opel Dipolmat.  An Opel with a factory 327 Chevy engine!  I
like it!

Chuck Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC