A Moment of Tribute

To: Land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: A Moment of Tribute
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:53:00 EST
Hello to all on this list
I've been reading all of the input from all of you with much interest,from
the controversial,the comical,and the technical(my favorite)--and had
expected to "jomp in" on a topic like "Electronics vs Nostalgia" and add my
two cent's worth, from my perspective of being around and in oval and drag
racing,with several years of helping some pals run sports cars on road
courses,also,since 1947.
However,my mood is a little somber as I just watched,on national tv,a
memorial to the six firefighters who lost their lives in a tragic fire in
Worcester,Ma. this past weekend.It hit close to home with me,as I lived just
outside that city all of my youth,as my dad worked there,and all of my
memories of that area are great,in contrast to this event that left 17
children without fathers. I recall pestering my dad  in the early 50's to
take me to body shops and garages where I heard cars were being customized
and hot rods were being built, cruising around in neat little channelled
coupes with high school buddies a little later,and more recently, Darrell
and I sliding down those same streets in his sleek chopped 65 Impala during
our visits to Worcester's car shows and weekly cruises,in the early 90's,and
just this year Doug,his daughter,and I checking out flea markets and antique
shops in and around Worcester--great memories for me!
So what I'm getting at--is to ask all of us to take a moment from our
pursuits today to think of these dedicated guys that watch over our
homes--our workplaces--and our shops where we build and enjoy these cars we
love.Some on our list are slightly  at risk(by choice) when they are out on
the Salt/dry lake/drag strip/oval--road course,too-----but these guys are at
risk every time they start their shift-----It's their job.Sorry for being so
serious today---I'm just bummed out over it.
I'll try to be more upbeat--historical--technical --controversial??   next
time!
Bruce D.Ferguson---The RASCALS' dad,and Eli Whitney trying to get used to
using a computer--what do I do now?? ---there's no gears-no cams-no
rockers--no u-joints!!!-----where do I put my 9/16 deep socket???
Racing Regards---Bruce
939 B/BFALT Black Radon Team Member-Hot Rod Historian
On the Connecticut Shoreline--And in the Bay Area(S.F.) early Next Century!!