Re: Which Bonneville Event?

To: Gene Brauninger <genesds@ic.net>
Subject: Re: Which Bonneville Event?
From: "Beverly C. Stanley" <beverlycst@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:47:54 -0800
Wow Gene - that's a loaded question!
By the way - welcome to the list - you will have to tell us where you're from
and what other kinds of racing you've done, etc.

Back to the three events -
August - Speedweek - this is the largest event of the year and you must attend
it at least once - but the first thing you have to do is try to find a place to
stay in Wendover - rooms are always at a premium and the rates are higher than
at any other time during the year. So let that be your first item on the check
list. Unless you plan on camping at the bend in the road (bring all of your own
water, food, etc.)
The weather is usually hot and clear all week with errant summer thunder storms
always a possibility. This is the biggest event - so all of your heros will be
there, too. You will also have an opportunity to sit in, and talk if you want,
during the rules meeting. Set up starts on Thursday the 10th - with early
inspections beginning the 11th and racing will be pretty much done on the 17th
- although there may be half a dozen record runs on the 18th. As a first timer
it is really important that you be there for the drivers' meeting on the 12th
(9AM).

September is the USFRA meet and I will let them talk to you - since I've never
been able to get to their meet.

October - World Finals - if the weather holds this is the best of the best.
Usually very clear and cold with only a small group of racers - so you can make
as many runs as you can prepare the bike for. There is usually no problem
getting a motel room - although the motels will jack the prices up about 10
bucks. The atmosphere is more laid back and everyone seems to have a little
more time (the official types), even though this meet is only 4 days.

Which ever meet you decide on, you will have the best time of your life.
Bev Stanley
Eagle Rock, CA