Re: Fastest Small Block Chevrolet

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>, <mcgonegal@petersenpub.com>
Subject: Re: Fastest Small Block Chevrolet
From: "JAMES CANNON" <dr.piston@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 07:42:54 -0500
Well said
Jim from Salem VA
-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas E. Bryant <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
To: mcgonegal@petersenpub.com <mcgonegal@petersenpub.com>
Cc: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, December 23, 1999 8:20 PM
Subject: Fastest Small Block Chevrolet

Mr. Ro McGonegal, Editor
Hot Rod Magazine

I feel a need to write to you concerning the Ken Walkey letter and your
response regarding the "Fastest Small Block Chevrolet." I know that you
have received communications that reflect the displeasure of some of my
cohorts in Land Speed Racing. I must admit that at first glance  I was
troubled by your comment to Ken, but after rereading Ken's letter, I can
see that he was not too kind either. I would have hoped that both Ken
and you could be "kinder and gentler" with the comments. Quarter Mile
and Bonneville are not in conflict with one another, actually they
compliment each other, each having their own challenges.

I don't know you, but I understand that you and Larry Volk are friends.
If that is so, then you should know how dedicated Bonneville racers are
to their sport. Most of us understand ¼ mile racing, many of us came out
of that segment of auto competition. We have high respect for ¼ milers
and their accomplishments. I'm not sure that ¼ milers have the same
respect for what we do, though.  In the past, I have witnessed some
coming to the Salt intending to show us how to go fast only to find that
their ¼ mile setups won't make it to the timing traps. Those ¼ milers
that have chosen to try our sport are generally converts after finding
that our sport provides equal challenges and more time to enjoy the
speed.

I guess what has caused the knee jerk reaction that you received from
some is the lack of coverage of our events by Hot Rod Magazine. Once Hot
Rod was the first place we went to find out about the Bonneville meets.
We think that you are missing the boat by not giving more coverage to
our sport. Hot Rod Magazine was built on this foundation and there is
more interest in what goes on there than you seem to realize. It is true
that, compared to the ¼ mile, Bonneville doesn't have the spectator
appeal, but this is an amateur sport where anyone can compete with
limited expense.

In my view, there is nothing that compares with looking at the "floating
mountain" through the windshield of well prepared car and listening to
the engine build RPMs for five miles. I suppose that is why people from
all over the world spend their hard earned money to make the trip to the
Salt, and come back year after year.

Tom, Redding CA,
#216 D/FCC, Bonneville, El Mirage, and Muroc Record Holder
In competition @ Bonneville since 1957