Re: Exhaust Extraction --- it's exhausting

To: Dale & Evelyn Thomas <bikerschoice@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Extraction --- it's exhausting
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 14:39:53 -0800
Dale,

I have been monitoring this discussion with interest, lots of good
theories being put forth, but as in many other areas, the real world is
very different.

The amount of gasses that are being expelled would require much more air
flow past the exhaust, to have an adequate venturi effect, than we have
at our speeds, I suspect. I think what you suggest, wave scavenging, has
more application to our world. (We know that there is a vacuum formed in
the exhaust pulses, some have used this for a long time to vent the
crankcase, at times so effective as to pull in gaskets. This theory is
also used to scavenge the crankcase on the modern car (Pulse Air
System).

I tried some experiments with wave scavenging many years ago at the
drags. We built headers with pipes (about a 60" collector) that extended
above the rear wheels on the roadster. We began cutting the pipes
shorter as we progressed with runs. The long collectors gave a
tremendous boost to power off the line, but the top end suffered. As we
shortened the pipes the low end power diminished and the top speed came
back.

There is a formula for header lengths that has been used for years (we
have discussed this before on this net).
Except for putting the exhaust out the back of the car, or underneath if
skirted, (both low pressure areas) I personally don't think you will
find an improvement. Even in the fender wells I think you will find that
the exhaust stream will extend well beyond the side of the car. I have
been told that the exhaust exiting the side of the car has the effect of
an extended 2X4 10 feet long on the aerodynamics. In other words, an
increase in frontal area. Another thought, if the exhaust exits under a
skirted car, wouldn't that nullify the ground effects?

Tom, "just some pondering", Redding CA 2:30PM PST