Re: Unser & Garlits and the "Two-Club"

To: saltracer@awwwsome.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unser & Garlits and the "Two-Club"
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:23:31 EST
In a message dated 01/07/2000 7:39:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
saltracer@awwwsome.com writes:

<< Richard,
 I believe Doug is right. It was a Roush 302 Ford. Money was no issue
 with this project.

 I admire the Unsers, I met Jerry Unser several years ago when Ak Miller
 brought him to a Roadrunner's Club meeting, this was when Ak was just
 getting started in the Pike's Peak runs. I also met Bobby when he was at
 the Salt.

 Some how, for me, though, the glory of entry into the 200 MPH Club is
 tarnished  when membership is bought. It is just something I couldn't
 do. There is a message for us, however, when it is sought by the likes
 of Unser and Garlits, considering their fame, they still feel that
 membership in the Club is an important acquisition.

 Tom, Redding CA 7:35AM PST

Group,
    Unser and Garlits went about membership in the Two-Club in slightly
differently ways. Unser probably never saw the car he drove until he got to
the salt, did the "ride", and left. Garlits sponsored construction of the
streamliner that he drove, owns it now (in his museum), and wrenched on it at
the salt when a head gasket needed changing. Garlits is definitely a
"hands-on" guy. I don't know if as much can be said for Unser.
    The owner of the Ardun that Garlits ran at the salt is a subscriber to
this group, so, Dave, correct me if I'm wrong.................Ardun Doug in CA