Garlits and 2 club and Bonneville people

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Garlits and 2 club and Bonneville people
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 11:31:01 -0600
The thing he was most impressed with was the comeradery amoung the racers-
The fact that you could lay out all your tools and spare parts out in the
open for a week and nobody would bother them-competitors helping each
other-loan something to a stanger and you'll get it back-a friendly word or
a wave from everybody.

This is why us old-timers keep coming back.

He was also impressed with the slow pace compared with drag racing. That is,
a lot of time to wrench between rounds.

We had a major problem with the car in the long course impound.  He helped
re-engineer the cooling system and he installed  a helicoil in my flathead
block without pulling the head in about 3 minutes. The return run was 220
mph-the fastest single engined flathead run to that time.(Costello has gone
faster since)

We changed engines twice and he was in the thick of the work.  It was fun
wrenching with him.

We old timers keep coming back for the challenges and the people.

Dave the Hayseed in Lincoln
#322 XXFBGMR