Re: Garlits and the 2-club

To: Marge and/or Dave Thomssen <mdthom@radiks.net>
Subject: Re: Garlits and the 2-club
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 10:35:05 -0800
Dave & Group,

I am sorry if I was misunderstood! At no time did I intend to imply that
Garlits did not earn his place in the Club, he is one of my heroes, I
only connected his name to my comments to indicate that he thought the
Club was a worth while effort even though he had already attained world
wide fame. It also was not my intent to belittle Unser's membership
either. It is just that "for me" there is more to gaining membership
than driving a car for a two-way average above 200 MPH.

I have known many who have buckled themselves into a proven car and rode
there way into the Club. I'm sure that for them wearing the hat has just
as much meaning as it does for me. I also know some who have spent a
small fortune and not attained  membership. Money does not guarantee
success. It just rangles me a bit (maybe I'm just jealous) to see cubic
dollars come into play in our sport. Others of less means to have to
compete against their records.

Many years ago I was offer the loan of a blown Chrysler by the Champion
Rep. , Jones, which I refused because my goal was to do it with an
unblowm "300 incher". That engine ended up in John Simonson's A Altered
C/S and set a record of 208.394 MPH in 1962 getting him into the Club. I
have never regretted my decision even though it required almost another
30 years of work to meet my goal.

Tom, "Doing it my way" Redding CA 10:30AM PST