Drag Coeff, etc

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Drag Coeff, etc
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:16:18
Thanks to those who have found "brokes" within the tables. I think I have
fixed most of them now. Most are just because I used a capital letter in
the url reference (doggone Unix).

Others have requested additional data be put into the tables. I wouldif I
could. This is all the info presently known to me. Most is available
because the EPA requires the information to certify gas milage claims and
this is reasonably new.

If you will post your specific requests to the list I am sure someone will
have the information. Then send it to me and I'll add it.

For others with "box" numbers such as height and width, I used a composit
factor, from all cars, of 0.834985 times the box area to get frontal area.

For those who have the horsepower number and want to know how fast you can
go with that in your car, work backwards: draw a horizontal line at the
horsepower axis, place your Cd x A at the appropriate place and read down
to speed. If you dont know the Cd then make a guess. The absolute lowest Cd
was 0.28: use it and you will be conservative IFF you think your Cd is better.

As to motorcysles, I know of nothing that gives any data at all. I suspect
that is because the rider is a major element and they come in all sizes.

However, I am working on a way to get aero drag on a coast down in which we
can get an approximation of the drag coefficients. Will keep the list posted..

good luck all,

mayf

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
1-256-837-1051

old >>>>>>>>  http://www.hsv.tis.net/~mayfield
new >>>>>>>>  http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemayf

DrMayf@AOL.com
lemay@hiwaay.net   <<<<preferred

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)