Drivetrain losses

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Drivetrain losses
From: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:49:11 -0800
Hi Team,
Over the past few weeks the subject of "how much HP" to go "how fast" has
received much attention and Mayf's chart report is an excellent vehicle to
get to the required horsepower....at the rear wheels on the ground. Thank
you Mayf you have really helped me.
If I have misinterpreted the charts......please somebody correct me!

Now how about sharing some ideas and opinions (data?) on how much Hp is
lost between the crankshaft flange and the ground at, say Bonneville with
dry salt (more of less) and at El Mirage on a good day and asphalt (as a
reference).

I think that the loss is 65% total at B-ville, 75% at El Mirage and 40-45%
on asphalt.
Any takers?

Skip Higginbotham, Bastrop, Tx (where it is now 80 degrees) at 5:43 PMCST
Air conditioning in January???????