Re: Ignitions

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Ignitions
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:39:19 -0800
Dave,
I have run the vertex magnetos. It is absolutely critical to have
available someone who can set the mag to do what you want. I bought a
new Joe Hunt several years ago and found that it quit performing at
about 6500 RPM. I took it to fellow that specialized in setting up mags
and he made it work.
He told me that the Joe Hunt mag was set to peak at about 6000 RPM
because at that time most of his went on street machines. If they were
set to achieve the higher RPMs they had a shorter life. He made mine run
at 8500 RPM with good performance. I really see no reason to run a mag
if you have a battery on board, the advent of electronic ignition has
put mags on the shelf.

I have run stock ignitions, W&H DuCoil, Hays Stinger and MSDs in that
order, they all performed for me. At present I'm running a Digital 6 MSD
and find it excellent for what I am doing. It has an adjustable rev
limiter and retard (the retard comes in handy with the Nitrous, hit the
nitrous and it automatically retards.)

Tom, Redding CA, sunny and 60s for today!