Re: Magnetos

To: landspeedracer@email.msn.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Magnetos
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:09:23 EST
In a message dated 01/28/2000 5:43:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
landspeedracer@email.msn.com writes:

<<
 Well I'll probably catch some flak on this, but every car running a Mag that
 I ever witnessed has had some sort of problem...tuning , running etc. I know
 some people can make them run right, but apparently it ain't a fool proof
 situation.

John & Group,
    Mags seem to get a lot of criticism, but I've run my faithful Vertex
since 1987 with absolutely no problems other than the nut behind the wrench
installing the cap without the coil lead going where it's supposed to go a
couple of times.
    It only requires a kill-switch wire, doesn't draw from a battery that's
already running the water pump and the instruments, and has been pretty
fool-proof for me.
    I run the centrifugal advance set to 20 deg. at 3000 rpm, with 15 deg
pre-set static. I also carry a spare just-in-case. My experience with
Bonneville is that all things electrical, be they in the push / tow vehicle
or the race car, get the hiccups on the salt flats.
                                        Ardun Doug in CA