Re: Arduns/Hemis & Chevys

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Arduns/Hemis & Chevys
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 09:15:06 -0700
Dick,
As I remember the articles from that time I believe he was trying to get
away from the more expensive machining and weight of the hemi valve train.
The Chevrolet rocker arms were lighter, easier to adjust, cheaper (remember
he was working for the "General") and the whole engine was much lighter in
weight.  This at a time when racing technology of all varieties was first
giving serious thought to weight.  The valve layout on the Chevrolet head
didn't lend itself to the Hemi configuration as well as what they ended up
with.  Remember they were just getting over the thinking on the Ford 59AB
block for racing.
I may not be accurate on all of this, the 40 plus years tend to blur things
and I don't have the magazines for back up.
Wes