SHADE TREE ROADSTER

To: Marge and/or Dave Thomssen <mdthom@radiks.net>,
Subject: SHADE TREE ROADSTER
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:29:10 -0800 (PST)
I'm really starting to remember what this shade
tree mechanicin' was all about way back when I
first started out in it in the early 50's.  I had
kind of forgotten, know what I mean?  I have
spent the last two months trying to design
steering, then when I figured out what I needed,
I searched every bone yard and farmyard for miles
around until I found a 1947 Mercury steering box
and column. I Got all the brackets and links
"engineered", bolted everything up, and then
found the steering wheel very hard to turn trough
the dead center spot (where I'm going to use it
most of the time - -ha ha).  I took everything
back apart, opened up the box, drained out all
the new lube I had put in, inspected carefully
and found that the gear had been worn beyond
repair.  Hmmmm should'a checked it first.  I
don't guess Auto Zone has a replacement so now I
get to start looking for another steering
box/column!  None of that new stuff though, it's
got to come out of a farm yard or it wouldn't be
right.  It's a matter of principal! I just want
to do this the way I did it back then. The other
thing, I can't figure out how to run steering and
zoomies in the space I have.  I figure I've got
to have steering and just WANT to HAVE zoomies.
I'm inclined not to put together steering with
six universals in the column (hee hee hee), so I
may end up with a "cross-over" roadster that will
have headers and be able to run more than one
class.  I'll be able to run 24.5" tires with the
rear fenders on, pull them off, switch to my 27"
tires, slap on my track roadster nose,  and run
again. This is Sooooo much fun.

=====
......(In East Texas)........
....FX/GMR  SC/P250-2........