Re: sanctioning, FIA, etc

To: "Ugo Fadini" <ugo.fadini@abc.it>
Subject: Re: sanctioning, FIA, etc
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:04:58 -0500
Ugo

    Sounds like your saying that the main consideration is the conditions
under which the record was set. The one hour turn around being the biggie.
But what about the running on Pendine Sands, Bonneville, Daytona Beach,
Black Rock desert, Lake Gardiner or the Autobahn, these all represent
different conditions in one way or another. Keeping everything absolutely
equal is not only impractical but impossible.

    My point is that the standard should be: 'making two runs in opposite
directions over the same measured distance within twenty four hours',
period. Very simple, and can be used around the world under a variety of
conditions and events.

    As for classes. Let me pose this question. Since FIA doesn't recognize
cars with different body classifications where would George Fields "record
holding" 300.509 MPH  '37 Simca fall in the grand scheme of things? Does
this become a "National" record simply because FIA doesn't recognize this
type of car or because he didn't do it with in one hour?

    I'm sorry if feelings around the world are getting hurt here, but this
is a valid and important topic. I still believe there is a better way of
doing this "World/International" record thing than the way the FIA has been
doing it for the last (80 - 90?) years.

    John Beckett, LSR #79, Worlds Fastest Chevette